I think this is a great place to take a stand and say you don’t need to be in Silicon Valley (or a “startup hub”) in order to raise money for your startup or be successful.
Paul Graham and I had a disagreement about this when he did a talk titled The Future of Web Startups at our conference in 2007. Afterwards, he summarized his thoughts on our interaction in his post Why to Move to a Startup Hub. That post is 5.5 years old now so I’m not sure what his current thoughts are. Paul and I are frienemies because we respect each other, but have different opinions on a few key issues. This post isn’t meant to be disparaging to him.
I hope that the following facts will be one counterpoint to the “You’ve got to move to a Startup Hub” message. Treehouse has …
- Raised over $12,000,000 in capital from some of the World’s best investors (Chamath Palihapitiya, Kevin Rose, Reid Hoffman, David Sze, Greylock, Mark Suster and Kaplan)
- Acquired 25,000+ active and paying Treehouse Students
- Grown to a $5m yearly revenue run rate and growing fast (18% top line growth last month alone)
- Hired 55+ employees distributed across Orlando, Portland and the rest of the USA (and one in the UK)
- Established a 4-day work week
- Received coverage from national news media
One of our core values at Treehouse is “We do it our way” and this fits nicely in with that.
Startup Founders: Don’t be afraid to do it your own way.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- breezewater likes this
- davidhclark likes this
- coalash likes this
- designovision reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- writingmythesis likes this
- aboutonline-education likes this
- kunaltandon likes this
- turoczy reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- turoczy likes this
- czchang likes this
- wsslmn likes this
- ajoyner likes this
- johnriordan reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- johnriordan likes this
- artemicion likes this
- yowadup likes this
- claytoncorreia likes this
- signalite likes this
- maventheavenger likes this
- zackgilbert likes this
- justinjacksoncanada likes this
- timsharesthings likes this
- blankenship likes this
- markdav-is reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- kirklove likes this
- ivogeorgiev likes this
- miss-lynsey reblogged this from ryanleecarson and added:
- miss-lynsey likes this
- ryanleecarson posted this
Stuff I Like
- Jay-Z connecting the dots between Russell Simmons and Mark Zuckerberg
"People in the record business had always made a lot of money. Not the artists,...
- We work a 4-day week and just raised $4.75m
I think there’s something messed up about the startup culture in the USA. The belief...
@ryancarson on TwitterFollow @ryancarson