"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but nobody wanna lift heavy ass weights" - Ronnie Coleman, Eight times Mr Olympian winner
I’ve noticed a recurring theme in the lives of successful people:
- They’re naively optimistic about what’s possible
- They work hard and smart to get there
That’s why I love that quote by Ronnie Coleman. Everyone wants to be successful but few are willing to do what it takes.
What I’m not promoting is working longer hours. As you probably know, we work a 4-day week at Treehouse. What I am promoting is being willing to go through pain and fear. Not just willing, but expecting and welcoming these things.
I see a lot of similarities with working out at the gym and succeeding in the rest of your life. There’s no way around the fact that if I want to get stronger and healthier, I have to cause my body to ‘hurt’. Fatigue, exhaustion, aches, feeling sick. It’s all necessary.
The same is true with success in the rest of my life. I’ll never get to where I want to go without experiencing fear, doubt and exhaustion.
It’s normal and it’s good. Not always and not forever, but it’s definitely been a part of my journey.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- codefresh likes this
- rrhoover likes this
- bootstrapevo reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- myackley likes this
- dnlmirrorboy reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- myroyarde likes this
- timoneil reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- masonite likes this
- nazrinz likes this
- dmilll reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- fabianmu likes this
- tyronbache reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- tyronbache likes this
- kirklove likes this
- zackgilbert likes this
- jasante likes this
- jordanskole reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- ryanleecarson posted this
Stuff I Like
- Jay-Z connecting the dots between Russell Simmons and Mark Zuckerberg
"People in the record business had always made a lot of money. Not the artists,...
- We work a 4-day week and just raised $4.75m
I think there’s something messed up about the startup culture in the USA. The belief...
@ryancarson on TwitterFollow @ryancarson