The billion dollar tech startup valuations and acquisitions are starting to attract a lot of opportunist to the industry. A lot of these people are not technical and they know they need a CTO to get to get to MVP.
I don’t have any problem with non-technical founders teaming up with developers to launch a product. Heck, it’s what I’ve done. I have a Computer Science degree, but it’s been five years since I’ve written a line of commercial code, so now I employ very talented Developers to build product.
The problem is that articles like This City Never Sleeps, and Neither do the Hackers and job posts that mention hacker mansions are starting to appear everywhere.
It’s a joke and I’m tired of it. Developers aren’t monkeys in a cage who can’t wait to do the next “hackathon”. They’ve got families, bills to pay and every other pressure that normal people do. They don’t want to drink Red Bull all night and sleep under their desks.
Next time someone asks if you want to crash at their hacker mansion for the summer (which has a ppol, BBQ and pool table!) or team up for a 24-hour hackathon, think twice. They’re probably just trying to cash in on your youth and optimism.
Photo credit: u-suke
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- knowtex likes this
- nadjapereira reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- ifindkarma likes this
- thewgetmagi reblogged this from ryanleecarson and added:
- jrsteele likes this
- dennisschneider reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- kui342ysii reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- mayafish likes this
- afuchs reblogged this from ryanleecarson and added:
- contisimone likes this
- skylundy likes this
- ccabreraruiz likes this
- gustaflindqvist likes this
- yummymee likes this
- rhombusone likes this
- susanl likes this
- pkazmierczak likes this
- ironcladfolly likes this
- lmai reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- mrdarcymurphy reblogged this from ryanleecarson and added:
- mrdarcymurphy likes this
- tedavery likes this
- benbrown likes this
- strideapp likes this
- jonathanmarcus likes this
- fancyweeble likes this
- smasuch likes this
- hlewisallways likes this
- adriansandu likes this
- paulfosterdesign likes this
- sarcilav likes this
- gblakeman likes this
- ryhei likes this
- ryhei reblogged this from doug and added:
- liquidzoot likes this
- cafeirreal likes this
- doug reblogged this from ryanleecarson and added:
- saeedjabbar reblogged this from ryanleecarson
- otnld likes this
- interfacedesigninspiration likes this
- evandrix likes this
- thematthewhudson likes this
- martiniwithatwist likes this
- henriqueoliveira likes this
- ryanleecarson posted this
Stuff I Like
- Jay-Z connecting the dots between Russell Simmons and Mark Zuckerberg
"People in the record business had always made a lot of money. Not the artists,...
- We work a 4-day week and just raised $4.75m
I think there’s something messed up about the startup culture in the USA. The belief...
@ryancarson on TwitterFollow @ryancarson